WELCOME TO OUR Q&A FORUM!
MILK STREET INSIDERS WILL RECEIVE A RESPONSE FROM A MILK STREET EXPERT WITHIN 2 BUSINESS DAYS.
TRY ANY PLAN 12 WEEKS FOR $1.
VIEW ALL SUBSCRIPTION OPTIONS HERE.
GOT A CUSTOMER SERVICE QUESTION? PLEASE EMAIL info@177milkstreet.com

12" All Clad Desperation

Hi Lynn, can I confer with you or anyone at Milk Street about my 12" all clad saute pan?

This is what my 8 year old pan looks like after sauteeing chicken breasts on medium heat in olive oil. I hate it; I'm not using high heat, I promise. It takes a day of soaking. I'm ready to ditch it and buy a carbon steel or a larger cast iron (I have a 10"). Looking for product/brand suggestions?

Website not letting me upload photo. So you'll have to imagine a scorched looking pan.

Thanks.

Kim

kjvaeth@mit.edu

Comments

• Hi Kim -

Unfortunately, this can happen - it's usually polymerized oil that gets stuck on your pan - and it can happen at any heat, really. Have you tried Bar Keeper's Friend to restore your pan? I can imagine how your pan looks and, trust me, mine look the same sometimes. I usually give it a scrub with Bar Keeper's Friend and it's back to new in no time. You can certainly replace it with carbon steel or cast iron, but those both require a fair amount of maintenance too since they need to be seasoned regularly. I'd get some Bar Keeper's Friend and give the pan a scrub down once a week. I personally prefer the powdered version to the more "soft scrub-like" version, since I think the powder is a bit more abrasive (in a good way). Hope that helps! Best, Lynn C.

• I have had success cleaning  polymerized oil from my all-clad pans using a product called "Carbon Off", available from Amazon. There is both a spay and a liquid/gel that you can apply with pastry brush. I have used both, and prefer the gel. It even gets rid of the build up around the rivets and where the handle attaches to the pan.

• Hi Paul - Thanks for the suggestion! Best, Lynn C.

• Hey guys -- thanks.

But cleaning the pan isn't the issue. And I do have Bar Keeper's Friend. I'm hoping you can tell me why the pan is scorching at all under medium heat while sauteeing 4 chicken cutlets? Is it the olive oil? As it is, the cooking in the All Clad takes far more clean up time than my cast iron. What are your go to saute/skillets? I want to learn. Is it ridiculous to consider a Le Creuset skillet? I have the dutch oven which is divine.

• Hi Kim - Is it extra-virgin olive oil? The smoke point of extra-virgin olive oil can be as low as 375 degrees. It's entirely possible that even over medium heat the oil is getting too hot and scorching. I would switch to grapeseed oil (smoke point around 490 degrees) or, at least, *regular* olive oil (smoke point around 450 degrees). Everyone's stovetop is slightly different and the heat output on "medium" could be hotter than you think.

Here at Milk Street we use the Christopher Kimball by Regal Ware 12" Stainless Steel Skillet. Personally, I wouldn't spend the money on an enameled cast iron skillet. You can get the same - in fact, in many cases, better - results with proper and continual seasoning on a traditional cast iron skillet for about 1/3 the price. We also love our carbon steel pans here at Milk Street. Best, Lynn C.

Sign In or Join to comment or create discussion. Comment as Guest.